Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Two weeks of hard labour

Well, we've worked hard to make te paper. Unfortunately I started to read Gilly Salmon and didn't have enough time to read McConnell. Later in this year perhaps. It was good to read about e moderating, computer conferencing, on line networking and training and also read about an example how to use a model. Think about what a moderator must do, ask, be aware off and so on. Reading about e learning and working together is something quite different than practice with eachother for the first time. A I already told my computerskills arn't very developped. I've only used the internal MSN. I've never used MSN in private. I think it canbe helpfull when people want to make a fast decision or appointment. Something like that. Mail is nowadays a "slow" way of communication. MSN can be faster. But practising it seems that it was hard work to get an conversation with the three of us. It takes a lot of time to start and nobody knows what makes it work at last. In normal life I've teached half a lesson.....Bu afterall I enjoyed working with technology. Reading the same paper and work with it brings me to a new "world". nless i'm insecure about the E world. Last month I think I've learned already a lot about E learning and practising with tools. It takes some time but probably the investment will have results.
Because off experimenting with the computer I haven't worked on the curriculum plan and even haven't searched any articles.
Back to MSN I think I'm gonna use the tool more. That brings me to the new tool for next week; vitero chat. Unfortunately my computer was crashed. At the store they were very helpfull and the next day the installed my computer again. But it do'nt function wright. So today I brought the computer back to the store and lend a Lap top of Inholland. Quiet nervous of Vitero will work. I plugged in the laptop to internet and plugged my usb stick with vitero in and after the password I get in. Yes I'm playing with tools. So tomorrow I'm gonna borrow or buy an headset and cam. And find out the next step. Practising with tools.
Last weeks I've worked a lot wth student who gonna graduate in june. They work hard and leave their papers to me for a comment. One of the comments I've given most to them was a comment on their way of reflection on their vieuw on ther on competences. So themes of e learning are becoming usefull in daily life.
This month I started to use tools and learn to think as an e teacher. I fight and fought with the computer and the tools. Well I don'think I'm the only socal worker with "starting"skills. Social Workers are speakers. In my opinion social workers als get to learn the E skills. Not only to use in an course with an international platform. In 2009 computerskills did become part of daily life and will be complementary to the "face tot face" skills.
Next weekend I start with task 5.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark:
    Finally; I have time to both read you blog once more; - and write my own short reflections over what you share with us:

    First: I see that you regret that you started with Salmon; and did not have time to read McConnel. Well: that is how life is; you have to start a one place, even though you also could want to do other things at the same time.
    And I think for such shared work it is very OK that you read different things form the readings-list. Then you can share and inspire each other! 
    We are also aware that it is very hard work to start reading English literature about important, -- and maybe new theories. Fortunately; it becomes easier for every paper you read! After a while, you nearly forget it is English; --- and this will really help you with you the VIRCLASS and VirCamp work. So just continue with readings_ but please find some time to practice by working with your curriculum plan, toddling with ideas for triggers etc…

    And that brings me to the next thing I want to comment in your Blog; -that you find the new things you learn from the e-pedagogy course useful in your F2F teachings. That is very good; -- and that is equal to some of the things I really find valuable with thinking about e-learning: That that’s make you aware of how to enhance the students learning also in campus situation. The distance” in distance-rearning make it necessary to plan carefully; --- and then you are made conscious of what you want and how you can reach that goal!
    Yes, I do agree upon that you have had 2 weeks of hard labor; but is good to see what you students manage to do, to write and to share with each other.
    A last comment about “technical stuff” : I hope this Vitero problems are sorted out beforw tomorrows session.
    AND, I am not able to see you e-Portfolio. Can you check this before tomorrow meeting, so can we maybe use a few minutes at this after the session?
    Good luck with your further work; Grete Oline,

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mark,

    it doesn´t fit to this post, but I want to give you my feedback to your curriculum plan, because today is the deadline for this, and I do not know if I am able to come back to my computer today, because the day in Mannheim is full with meetings and so on... so here is my feedback:

    dear mark,

    here is my feedback to your curriculum plan on your course of „unemployment“.

    your course is about a very interesting theme, and not only interesting, but very actual. So I am sure your course will be of great importance and interest for students of social work.

    Your introduction clearly emphasises these notions. Very good in your curriculum plan also is the concept of “collaboration”: the students can clearly see that they should cooperate during the tasks.

    From my point of view you can enhance the quality of your curriculum plan especially in three ways:

    1) There are several misspellings and other mistakes concerning grammer and orthography (first example in the title: “Unemployment a a social problem… as an solution”; the second sentence in the introduction: “At all levels of society people getting without a job” – this is not a complete sentence). I think you have to work through the whole text to enhance its impression, because perhaps the curriculum plan is the first “paper model” for your students. In its momentary form the text occurs not to be “ready” and finished.
    2) Specify the way in which the collaboration between the students should take place. Do you want to part your whole group of students in smaller sub-groups? Do they have to cooperate on specific tasks, for example write a combined paper?
    3) Add at least one specific title to your reading list. I think it is a very good idea to indicate in your reading list that the students are expected to search for literature on themselves, but one basic title as a starting point would be helpful.

    If you work through your text considering these aspects I am sure your curriculum plan will be a very appropriate “advertising” to your interesting and important course!

    I hope this is useful feedback for you!
    bye,

    alex

    ReplyDelete